Discussion: What Do You Hope to Achieve With Your Writing?

Photo credit: slightly everything on Flickr
I want to write books that make readers feel.

I want to write books that make my readers swoon, and cry, and laugh. I want to write books that keeps readers flipping pages long past their bedtimes, and has them daydreaming about what might happen after they have to stop reading.

I want to write books with characters, stories, and worlds that stay with my readers after they’ve read the final words. I want to write books that make people think, and empathize, and maybe look at the world and the people in it a little differently.

I know not everyone will like my books. That’s okay.

I know there are some people who will probably hate my books. That’s also okay.

But if I can achieve at least one of the goals I mentioned above with my writing, if I can make someone swoon, or laugh, or fall in love with my characters using tens of thousands of combinations of twenty-six letters? That alone is incredible enough to make the rest worth it.

What do you hope to achieve with your writing? 

Twitter-sized bites: 
.@Ava_Jae shares what she'd like to achieve with her writing. What items are on your list? (Click to tweet)  
What do you hope to achieve with your writing? Join the discussion on @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet)

8 comments:

Darth Lolita said...

Emotion is the biggest thing for me too. Even if people find my plots or characters unlikable or confusing or whatever, if they can feel what my characters are feeling or if I can capture the right kind of atmosphere and size of the world and problems--then I'll know I've written something pretty good.

Gwen Tolios said...

Some what similar, I want people to feel what I've written. To feel my characters' dilemmas personally, to forget about the clock as they flip pages, and to once in awhile think fondly back on my work, if not reread it.

Ava Jae said...

Agreed—emotion is a huge one. I'd rather readers disliked characters passionately than found it boring.

Ava Jae said...

That's so great! I love the way you worded that. And I totally agree.

Heather said...

These are such cool goals, and I love how specific they are. Probably food for thought, though I'm a picky eater.

Ava Jae said...

Thanks, Heather!

Mia Hayson said...

This is such a great question! I think I'm in the same boat as you visavi THE FEELS. Without feeling, my words have no meaning in the bigger picture imo. Books really have a way of changing my world view and taking me on a journey, and I think if I can do that for one person it's been worth the ride. :)

<3

Ava Jae said...

So true! I completely agree, Mia. I especially love what you said about books changing your world view and taking you on a journey. I've definitely experienced that as well. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...